This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
My hashbrown casserole is simple to make, versatile, and sure to please. An intensely rich combination of cheddar cheese, sour cream, and cream of chicken soup transforms plain frozen hashbrowns into a cheesy, creamy work of art.
This hashbrown casserole recipe makes the type of dish that warms your soul as it fills your belly. This simple yet extremely satisfying dish features a crispy golden potato crust and a luxurious mix of cheddar, sour cream, and cream of chicken soup along with sweet onions, tangy Worcestershire, and smoky paprika.
Hashbrown casserole is also incredibly easy to make. It requires only a handful of simple ingredients and 10 minutes of preparation time. Plus, you can enjoy this cheesy potato bake any time of the day, from breakfast to your evening meal. Serve as is or brighten it up with a scoop of Roasted Salsa or Hot Sauce.
Table of Contents
- Hashbrowns – The easiest option is to use frozen shredded hashbrowns for this recipe. Be sure to thaw, drain, and dry them well. If desired, you can try this hashbrown casserole recipe with freshly shredded potatoes instead. Be sure to soak, rinse, drain, and dry them to remove excess starch and moisture.
- Cheddar Cheese – Adds gooey richness and a tangy, salty sharpness. You can mix up the cheese if preferred.
- Onion – I like to use yellow onions for their mild bite and sweet pungency. You can also add a bit of green onion to the mix if you’d like.
- Sour Cream – Gives the dish a rich, satiny-smooth texture and tangy flavor.
- Cream of Chicken – Infuses the casserole with a velvety texture and deep savoriness. For a vegetarian alternative, use a meat-stock-free cream of potato or cream of mushroom soup.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Enlivens and harmonizes the entire dish with a touch of sweet, salty, savory, and tangy flavors. If needed, you can substitute 1:1 with soy sauce or balsamic vinegar.
- Spices – I’ve included a simple blend of smoked paprika, black pepper, and kosher salt in this hashbrown casserole recipe. Feel free to get creative and add a touch of garlic powder, cayenne pepper, or any of your favorite spices.
Make it a Meal!
I’ve been know to make a tasty side dish into a complete meal by adding a protein. For this one, I like to add one pound of shredded rotisserie chicken to the mix and then bake it to golden, crispy perfection. It will feed a crowd!
- Prepare the Oven. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 13×9-inch casserole dish.
- Combine All Ingredients. Use a large bowl to combine the potatoes, cheese, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings and mix thoroughly. Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish, spreading it out evenly and to the edges.
- Bake the Casserole. Place the dish in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. You want the edges to be crispy and the top to be a nice golden brown color.
- Cool & Serve. Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Share this recipe on Pinterest!
Love this recipe? Share it with the world on Pinterest.
When this happens, the hashbrowns themselves are usually the culprit. Too much liquid will cause the casserole to steam and soften, rather than brown and crisp. Luckily, the problem is easy to fix.
Be sure to completely thaw, drain, and dry your hashbrowns before baking them into your dish. You can actually wring them out with your hand and/or use a light, lint-free towel to squeeze out any excess moisture.
This hashbrown casserole recipe is remarkably versatile! Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack time — there are so many ways to fit this cheesy potato bake into your day. Check out some of these ideas to get you started:
– Enjoy with egg dishes like Huevos Rancheros, Meatloaf Egg Scramble, or these scrumptious Breakfast Omelet Muffins.
– Pair with Buttermilk Biscuits, Griddle Cakes, Scones, Waffles, or any of your favorite breakfast treats.
– For lunch, enjoy alongside a soup and salad like this Alabama Style Chicken Sandwich and Wedge Salad.
– Serve as a side with any of your favorite dinner entrees. I especially like it with savory meat dishes such as Smoked Pork Shoulder, Braised Beef Brisket, and Grilled Spatchcock Chicken.
– For a hearty snack, have a piece of casserole with a few tomato slices and some Pesto Breadsticks.
Definitely! Assemble the dish, cover it with plastic wrap, and store it in the refrigerator up to 24 hours before baking.
You can also freeze unbaked hashbrown casserole for up to 3 months. While it is possible to bake the casserole before freezing, you’ll achieve far better results if you wait until the day of serving to bake.
Thaw frozen casserole in the refrigerator overnight, then let it warm on the counter while you preheat the oven. Since it will still be a bit chilled, you may need to add extra minutes in the oven. Keep an eye on it and adjust accordingly.
Southern Hashbrown Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×13″ casserole dish.
- Mix together in a large bowl the potatoes, cheese, onion, sour cream, soup, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Pour into prepared dish and spread evenly to edges.
- Baked uncovered for 45-50 minutes, or until top should be golden brown and edges crispy. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.